Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Redbox Roundup Labor Day

As some of you may know, Monday was Labor Day. Labor Day, from what I gather, is a holiday for people that work. It is also often confused with Memorial Day. I do not work, but I am a rebel, therefore I went ahead and celebrated your working man holiday along with all the poor working stiffs. And what better way to cap off a holiday weekend than with a terrible Redbox rental?

17 Again was calling and I answered.

If your powers of deductive reasoning are not so good, and you're not familiar with the commercials for this "fantasy comedy film" starring Zac Efron, the basic plot is that a 30-something guy, played by Matthew Perry, becomes...17 AGAIN! Wow! But how??!

Well, it's not entirely clear how. It has something to do with hating his life, returning to his old high school, a creepy janitor, and some sort of magical cyclone/vortex/wormhole that returns him to his 17-year-old body. It's sort of a Freaky Friday meets It's a Wonderful Life meets that movie where Drew Barrymore goes back to high school and for some reason no one thinks she has Down Syndrome.

The worst part about 17 Again was that it wasn't nearly as bad as I had hoped and expected. It was downright watchable. I mean, sure, the plot is a little far-fetched, but it's a fantasy comedy. What do you expect?

Well, for one, I did not expect Zac Efron's character to be a big shot basketball player. But he is. Now, I've never seen High School Musical, but apparently, Zac Efron plays Troy, captain of the basketball team. Now I can't help wonder, what is it about Zac Efron that makes people look at him and automatically say, "basketball." I don't see it. But in the spirit of full disclosure, I don't think I've ever watched a game of basketball. If fact, there were two basketball game scenes in this movie and I made sure to avert my eyes until they were over.

In general, I think the movie taught us some valuable life lessons. First, don't get your girlfriend pregnant in high school. And if you do, don't marry her because it will ruin your life. But I think the most important thing I learned from this movie is that time will be very cruel to Zac Efron, assuming that he will grow up to look just like Matthew Perry in all his baggy-eyed glory. So Zac, listen to me. Enjoy your taut skin while it lasts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home