Monday, August 03, 2009

Shark Summer

Though I tend to fall in the "all talk" camp most of the time, I finally put my money where my proverbial mouth is and went to the Aquarium of the Pacific. So after months of seeing the commercials, singing the commercials (shark summer... it's terrific, the aquarium of the pacific...), and telling people we were going to the aquarium, Pat and I actually did it.

But I have a tip for other Southern California marine enthusiasts. I know money is tight in this economy. I do. And that's why we went on a "Shark Summer Sunday" after 5 pm for the discounted price of only 11.95. It turns out, we were actually not the only people who had that idea. Now, full price, at a hefty 23.95 is significantly more expensive, but it just might be the price you have to pay in order to enjoy the aquarium without 7 MILLION OTHER PEOPLE. Out of the 7 million other patrons, I'd estimate that 5 million of them were shrieking children. Assuming you ever got close enough to any of the exhibits to see them, the liquid mass of people would immediately envelop you and there you are, trapped between baby sea nettles and a gigantic mass of hot, loud people. (I mean hot, like generating heat, not like, sexy.)

Anyways, despite the crowds, it was still magical. There were sharks and colorful fish galore. But I think the most magical creature was found in the Aquarium Cafe.

Imagine yourself going to the aquarium. What to wear, what to wear? Sure, there's the obvious route - jeans, t-shirt, maybe even shorts. But let's say you're an aspiring actress. You're not going to stand out in a crowd of 7 million wearing normal people clothes. And that's why you decide to put on your big straw hat and your gold sequined mini-dress.

Sequins! Gold ones! Outside of ice skating competitions and dance recitals, this just isn't an acceptable textile in today's society. I just can't wrap my head around this young lady's thought process. There's simply no good explanation for wearing a dress made entirely of gold sequins to Shark Summer at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I'm just picturing her there, standing at her closet, getting ready to go see some sharks, and she picks out a dress that she very well may have worn last Halloween when she went as Beyonce.

It doesn't make sense. Maybe it was a prank. Her friends said, "Hey, we're going to hit the clubs tonight. We'll pick you up." And then they pulled up to the aquarium and she was like, "Guuuuyyyys!" And they all laughed, and dared her to go to the aquarium dressed like that. Her compromise was to wear a big straw hat so that no one would recognize her. I guess that makes sense.

Anyways, I made sure to take a furtive picture of her. But I don't think it really does the ensemble justice. But maybe goldi-dress will see this and offer me an explanation. I would appreciate that.




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home