Thursday, April 17, 2008

I need to stop watching The View

I can't help it. If I happen to be home at 10 am, I have to watch The View. I hate/love/hate/love/hate/hate it so much. Their discussions of hot topics are so maddeningly delicious. If you've never had the pleasure-pain, let me explain. Hot topics is the first 10 minutes or so of the show. The ladies sit around and discuss whatever awesome scandalous issue the news is most saturated with at the present. They weigh in on controversial non-news like teens having plastic surgery or the Marilyn Monroe sex tape, but it in the end it usually leads back to Elisabeth (she's the young blond Republican one) somehow defending Bush and the war and John McCain and then everyone else yells at her and Barbara Walters mispronounces something and makes a self-deprecating joke about how old she is. In short, it is must-see tv.

Anyways, this week, they got to gabbing about everyone's favorite mid-April topic: taxes. Finally, something we can all agree on. Taxes are the worst. Doing taxes, paying taxes, the whole shebang. Uncle Sam gets way too much of our money. And what do we get for it?

I mean other than roads, schools, law enforcement, medicare, medicaid, crap like that. Yes, it goes to the military as well. "Boooo," says everyone but Elisabeth. Anyways, it's not a very hot topic in my opinion.

But then, Whoopi Goldberg turns up the heat. She makes the assertion that it isn't fair that she, a celebrity of all people, should have to pay so much in taxes. She calls it her "celebrity tax." Wait what? I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm fairly sure that celebrities don't pay special taxes just because their jobs aren't very hard. I think what she means is ever since she became famous she started making lots of money that she doesn't really deserve. Now, I don't know how much Whoopi makes in a year, but I guarantee it's too much. So she has to pay taxes. Don't you feel bad for her? She gets paid exorbitant amounts of money to sit around talking and doing other non-work and then the government has the audacity to make her contribute to society. Outrageous!

In the interest of full disclosure, I got a return on my taxes, so maybe that's why I don't share her outrage. But to be even more honest, I made approximately 13,000 dollars last year. So maybe that's part of it as well.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I used to sort of respect Whoopi. At least in relative terms, compared to other co-hosts of The View. She was all cool and weird and she doesn't wear makeup or even yell at Elisabeth every time she says something retarded. But now I hate for being a whiny celebrity complainer-face. And I don't like to hate people. But she leaves me no choice. So sorry, Whoop, you're on my list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home