Friday, April 25, 2008

Home Alone

I was talking to Joe last night about the movie Home Alone. I think it was because Joe said he was home alone. Whatever.

I was 6 years old when the movie came out and I saw it in the theater with my next-door neighbor, Erica. Now I'm pretty sure I fell within the target demographic for this movie, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. Did anyone else think that this Kevin kid was supremely fucked up? I mean, yeah, you've got to defend yourself from the would-be burglars, and it's great that you're such a cunning 8-year-old, but as far as I can remember they didn't seem like violent criminals. Did these mildly threatening thieves really deserve such a brutal beating from this sadistic little shit?

I know I was a sort of sensitive kid. When I was in first grade, my bus driver honked the horn at me for crossing the street before he gave me the signal to go, and I cried for what was probably a week or so, and refused to ride the bus anymore. But it was a bus horn, which is scarier than a regular horn. But still, I think even a normal person should be more disturbed than amused by the torturous antics in Home Alone. Being pummeled in the face by paint cans and burned by hot irons and, I believe, somehow tarred and feathered? Seems a little on the extreme side if you ask me.

They were just a couple of lovably bumbling burglars. Probably down on their luck, needed some holiday cash, and they have the bad luck to cross paths with this horrible child that gets off on inflicting pain. Hardly a "family comedy" in my opinion.

And by the by, is anyone aware that this movie was nominated for 2 Oscars? I've been doing some research on imdb and I came across that little tidbit. Yeah, it was for the music, and yeah John Williams apparently did it, but still! From now on, I think it is imperative that Home Alone always be referred to as "the Academy Award-nominated Home Alone." Although, I realize not many people (other than me) are still talking about the Academy Award-nominated Home Alone in 2008, but just keep that in mind should it come up at a cocktail party or whatever.

My point is that this was a traumatizing part of my childhood, rather than a delightful romp, and I did NOT see Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I totally agree with you. I could not enjoy these films because I could not sympathize with the sadistic main character. Had I been a child attacked by thieving hooligans, I would have just let them in. As a child, my mother served me sour milk which I had never encountered before. I reasoned that it must have been poisoned by her, and she had some desire to kill me. Not wanting to ruin her plan and disappoint her, I drank the whole thing and didn't say a word. I hope that better illustrates where I would stand on the aforementioned subject.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home